What should you know about Borkollégium?
Borkollégium was the first wine school in Hungary and the first Hungarian centre for the London-based Wine and Spirit Education Trust (WSET), now an international standard. Borkollégium has been delivering wine knowledge training since 1991 and has operated in an institutionalised form since 1996. It obtained WSET accreditation in 2005 but had followed the organisation’s educational schema prior to that.
The wine school has already trained more than 5,000 students at various levels, including the managers, winemakers and sommeliers of various wineries, restaurants and hotels (click here to see the reference organisations). The school’s educators include renowned experts, international wine academics and Master of Wine students. Uniquely, it offers students its own textbooks, while its name is also connected to the following publications: Terra Benedicta - Tokaj and Beyond, the Book of Hungarian Wines and the Wine Guide (which ran to 16 editions).
The sole condition for enrolment is that you are 18 years of age. If you pay the tuition fee more than 15 days prior to the start of the course, will be entitled to a discount. You can find the current fee and additional information for each course in its detailed description, as well as under the Enrolment menu item.
How does the training work?
Training is delivered in Hungarian or English (in the case of WSET courses). There are both theory presentations and an emphasis on the practical. In each case, the presentation is followed by interactive wine tasting led by the educator for the session. The essence of the wine evaluation system developed and used by WSET and the Institute of Master of Wine is balance-centricity. This system is also applied by all renowned wine-merchants, hotels and wine writers around the world.
Courses are usually concluded with an exam. Passing this also requires independent self-study and preparation at home. On completion of the WSET courses and passing the final exam in English, you will obtain an internationally accepted qualification. You can find information about our wide range of courses under Courses in the menu.
Why choose Borkollégium?
- We were the first wine school in Hungary, thus have the most experience.
- You will not only taste a wide range of wines, but wines of extremely high quality. Should there be a faulty sample, it will be replaced.
- We offer a pleasant environment and comfortable atmosphere, which makes learning easy.
- Our educators work to the highest of standards.
- We are the only school in Hungary to offer students constantly updated textbooks, right from the very beginning.
- You will get answers to all your questions. However, if our educators, very occasionally, can’t give you an answer right away, they’ll come back to you with it the next day.
- Knowledge-based education is of paramount importance to us, and we aim to offer our students the best knowledge available.
If you have any doubts about whether it is worth learning about wine, we have tried to answer some of the most frequently asked questions under Wine school in the menu.
I hope to see you at one of our courses soon!